Reduce The Impact Of Your Child's Accidents On Your Auto Insurance Premiums

Written by Ryan Lowell on March 31, 2011 & Posted in Insurance

Auto insurance expert Ryan Lowell fields a question from a consumer, who wants to know how to keep a child's accident from sending his car insurance premiums from soaring sky high.

Got a kid who crashes? Minimize the impact to your auto insurance policy.

Dear Ryan,

My 19-year-old son just had another fender-bender-- his third in the last two years. Our premiums were already high; I can't imagine what they will be now. How can I make my insurance cheaper?

Trevor R. St. Louis, MO

Dear Trevor,

I feel for you. Adding a youthful driver to an auto insurance policy is expensive, and when that youthful driver begins to rack up claims the additional auto insurance premiums can be unbearable. There are a few things you can do that may help drive down the cost of your policy.

Talk to your agent about splitting Junior off on his own policy. At his young age, his future earnings are likely his only asset worth protecting. He can carry lower limits of liability than you can, and since he is an adult you should be insulated from any lawsuit against him. If your name is on the title of the car, this option is out, so you may want to consider giving him the car. Without his driving record affecting your policy, your premiums should drop.

If you can't remove him from the policy, you may save money by increasing the comprehensive and collision deductibles on his car, or dropping coverage for damage to his auto altogether. Find out the book value of his car to determine if it is worth the risk.
Up until now, I have been assuming Junior has his own car. If you have more drivers than cars in a family, most auto insurance companies will rate Junior on the most expensive car in the stable. You could save a fortune by buying a cheap car for Junior and only carrying liability coverage on that car. He can then be rated as the primary driver of this car, not yours, dropping your premiums. He would still be covered driving your car.

Now for some tough love. There is no upside to you carrying Junior on your policy. His driving could get your policy cancelled or non-renewed. He is an adult, and I recommend you split him off on his own policy. Even if you have to subsidize his premiums to keep it affordable for Junior, you are insulating yourself from future insurance trouble his driving habits could cause.


Featured Insurance Companies

Insurify™️ - Virginia Drivers Can Save Up to 50%

  • The easiest way to compare 20 real quotes from top brands
  • Prices starting from $29/mo
  • Trusted by more than 4 million drivers - 4.9 star reviews
  • As seen on Fox News, WSJ, Forbes, Fortune Magazine

Ask Our Expert

View All

Q. Will my policy pay off my car loan if my car is totaled?
A. An explanation of what happens if your car is totaled out when you still owe money on your car loan or lease. Read More

Q. Will car insurance cover my stolen personal items?
A. If someone steals personal items from your car, will car insurance cover those items? Read More


Required parameter not set.
Request a Quote for:

Recent Insurance Stories

View All
If my car is totaled will my loan be paid off?
An auto insurance expert fields a question from a consumer who wants to know if their insurance policy will pay off their car loan if their car is totaled out. Find out what happens with your car loan if your car is declared a total loss. I totaled Read More...
  • Are my personal items covered by car insurance?
  • Find out how an SR-22 certificate of financial responsibility relates to your car insurance policy.
  • Find out whose insurance pays if you lend out your car and a friend causes an accident.
  • What is uninsured motorist coverage and do you really need it?
  • Featured Insurance Companies

    Progressive Insurance - #1 Rated Website

    • Take advantage of E-sign, Safe Driver, Pay-in-full, Multi-Car and other Discounts
    • Fast, easy and reliable claims service available 24 hours a day
    • Bundle your auto and home policies for additional savings