Car insurance - should I file a comprehensive or collision claim?

Written by Ryan Lowell on February 9, 2011 & Posted in Insurance

Dear Ryan,

I have a $100 deductible on my comprehensive automobile insurance coverage, but a $500 deductible on my collision coverage. I scraped my car on the garage doorway the other day, and don't want to pay the big deductible. Can I file a claim under my comprehensive coverage since I didn't collide with another car?

Jenny O., Huntsville, Alabama

Hi Jenny,

No, you can't. In an auto insurance policy, comprehensive coverage is sometimes called "other than collision coverage" because it pays for damage caused by anything other than a collision. For example, damage to your car caused by flood, fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects, missiles, or contact with a bird or animal would be covered by your comprehensive coverage. A comprehensive claim could involve a rock that kicked up on the highway and cracked your windshield, or damage to your paint caused by some punk egging your car.

Collision coverage pays for damage to your car caused by a collision with another vehicle or object, or vehicle upset (rolling your car). Examples of collision damage would be hitting a rock in the road, backing into a lamppost, or rear-ending another car.

You don't get to choose what coverage or deductible you use; the type of claim is determined by the cause of the damage. There is one exception: When glass is damaged in a collision, you can often choose what coverage to file the claim under. It is rare that a collision would break glass but not damage anything else, so you would normally include the glass in the collision claim, but if the only damage was glass, you could file a comprehensive claim.

Jenny, you collided with the garage doorway, so you have a collision claim on your hands.


Featured Insurance Companies

Insurify™️ - Virginia Drivers Can Save Up to 50%

  • The easiest way to compare 20 real quotes from top brands
  • Prices starting from $29/mo
  • Trusted by more than 4 million drivers - 4.9 star reviews
  • As seen on Fox News, WSJ, Forbes, Fortune Magazine

Ask Our Expert

View All

Q. Will my policy pay off my car loan if my car is totaled?
A. An explanation of what happens if your car is totaled out when you still owe money on your car loan or lease. Read More

Q. Will car insurance cover my stolen personal items?
A. If someone steals personal items from your car, will car insurance cover those items? Read More


Required parameter not set.
Request a Quote for:

Recent Insurance Stories

View All
If my car is totaled will my loan be paid off?
An auto insurance expert fields a question from a consumer who wants to know if their insurance policy will pay off their car loan if their car is totaled out. Find out what happens with your car loan if your car is declared a total loss. I totaled Read More...
  • Are my personal items covered by car insurance?
  • Find out how an SR-22 certificate of financial responsibility relates to your car insurance policy.
  • Find out whose insurance pays if you lend out your car and a friend causes an accident.
  • What is uninsured motorist coverage and do you really need it?
  • Featured Insurance Companies

    Progressive Insurance - #1 Rated Website

    • Take advantage of E-sign, Safe Driver, Pay-in-full, Multi-Car and other Discounts
    • Fast, easy and reliable claims service available 24 hours a day
    • Bundle your auto and home policies for additional savings